To appear in the Proceedings of the 2018 ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games (I3D 2018)
Welcome! I am a doctoral candidate at the Dept. of Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, as well as a research assistant advised by Prof. Varshney at the Augmentarium, UMIACS, working on all aspects of virtual and augmented environments: spanning 3D user interfaces for social media (Social Street View), 4D video based rendering (Montage4D and Video Fields), foveated rendering (KFR), gestures (VRSurus), and visualization. Previously, I interned at Microsoft Research on Holoportation (4D reconstruction). I also worked at Makeability Lab, HCIL advised by Prof. Jon Froehlich on tangible interfaces (AtmoSPHERE), real-time OCR (HandSight), and curb ramp recognition (Tohme). I am passionate about inventing future interactive technologies with computer graphics, 3D vision, and HCI. Feel free to visit my ShaderToy page for fun demos!
- 2/16/17: Two papers and one poster accepted at the 2018 ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on I3D
- 10/16/17: Advanced to Ph.D. Candidacy - "Fusing Multimedia Data Into Dynamic Virtual Environments"
- 7/29/17: Attending SIGGRAPH 2017 at Los Angeles.
- 5/22/17: Started internship at Microsoft Research, Redmond on 4D reconstruction.
- 5/05/17: Received the Outstanding Research Assistant Award 2017.
- 2/21/17: Invention of the Year Award Finalist.
- 7/24/16: Social Street View won the Best Paper Award at Web3D 2016! News
I obtained M.S. in 2015. Prior to UMD, I received my B.S. degree from ACM Class, Computer Science at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). I served as the vice president of the ACM Class and a undergraduate research assistant in BCMI Lab. From Jul. 2012 to Feb. 2013, I worked as a full-time intern at Microsoft Research Asia working on 3DVAR: From 3D reconstruction To Virtual and Augmented Reality while serving as the Chief Technology Officer at the ARD Intern Community of Microsoft Asia-Pacific Research & Development Group.
To appear in the Proceedings of the ACM on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques 2018 (PACM 2018)
To be presented on 2018 ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games (I3D 2018)
Ruofei Du and Amitabh Varshney
Evaluating Haptic and Auditory Directional Guidance to Assist Blind People in Reading Printed Text Using Finger-Mounted Cameras
In ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing (TACCESS). 2016 | 39-page paper
Ruofei Du and Liang He
In Proccedings of International Conference on Data Science and Engineering. 2012.
Selected Media-covered Projects
In Microsoft Research TechFest 2013, Champion of Microsoft Research Asia Student TechFest 2013.
Ruofei Du, Jiawei Gu
Published in Windows 8 App Store
Interactive Poisson Blending on GPU (ShaderToy)
Geollery: Visualizing Geo-Tagged Instagram Galleries on the Map
Shangfu Peng and Ruofei Du
AngryBirds: Deliberately Planning and Acting for Angry Birds with Refinement Methods
C-Flow: Visualizing Foot Traffic and Profit Data to Make Informative Decisions
Enchanting Ema: A Magical Interpretation of Shinto-Japanese Beliefs
3DEye: Eye-controlled 3D Wander System in 2010
JanCorpus: A Search Engine for Corpus With Millions of Janpanese Essays
57aMP: Create physical stamps using the thermal power of touch.
Tiffany Chao, Ruofei Du, Jon Froehlich
Cubot: An In-hand or Wearable Input Device Attached onto Everyday Object
57fire: Create live fire illusion in holographic display using heat
Ruofei Du, Tiffany Chao, Jon Froehlich
- UistViz: 26 Years of UIST Coauthor Network Visualization
Statistics for K-mer Based Splicing Analysis
Ph.D. Committee Members
- A+ | Spring 2015 CMSC 828V Advanced Topics in Visual Computing by Prof. Amitabh Varshney
- A | Spring 2015 CMSC 773 Computational Linguistics II by Prof. Philip Resnik
- A | Fall 2014 CMSC 828B Advanced Topics in Information Processing by Prof. Larry Davis
- A | Fall 2014 CMSC 754 Computational Geometry by Prof. David Mount
- A | Fall 2014 CMSC 660 Scientific Computing I by Prof. Ramani Duraiswami
- A | Spring 2014 CMSC 838F Advanced Topics in Tangible Interactive Computing by Prof. Jon Froehlich
- A | Spring 2014 CMSC 702 Computational Systems Biology by Prof. Hector Corrada Bravo
- A | Spring 2014 CMSC 798 Graduate Seminar in Computer Science by Prof. Yiannis Aloimonos
- A | Fall 2013 CMSC 734 Information Visualization by Prof. Ben Shneiderman
- A | Fall 2013 CMSC 733 Pictorial Information Processing by Prof. David Jacobs
- A | Fall 2013 CMSC 798E Graduate Seminar in Computer Science by Prof. Jeff Foster
- Student Member, IEEE and ACM
- Reviewer. SIGGRAPH 2018 .
- Reviewer. Mobile HCI 2018 .
- Reviewer. CAD / Graphics 2017 . PC: Dr. Changqing Zou
- Reviewer. Mobile HCI 2017 . PC: Dr. Mirco Musolesi
- Reviewer. CHI 2017 . PC: Dr. Elizabeth Bonsignore
- Reviewer. CHI 2016 . PC: Dr. Elizabeth Bonsignore
- Reviewer. GI 2016 . PC: Dr. Charalambos Poullis
- Reviewer. IDC 2016 . PC: Dr. Lisa Anthony
- Reviewer. ISMAR 2015 . PC: Prof. Adrien Bartoli
- Reviewer. UIST 2015 . PC: Prof. Jessica Ruth Hullman
- Reviewer. CHI PLAY 2015 . PC: Prof. Magy Seif El-Nasr
- Reviewer. IDC 2015 . PC: Prof. Ben Shapiro
- Reviewer. C&C 2015 PC: Prof. Sally Jo Cunningham
- Reviewer. CHI 2015 . PC: Prof. Andreas Butz
- Student Volunteer, Reviewer. CHI 2014 . PC: Prof. Jörg Müller
- Reviewer. CHI 2013 . PC: Prof. Steve Benford